The Grampian Association of Storytellers were set up in 2001 by three local quines, Grace Banks, Maggie Fraser and Jackie Ross. Since then, GAS has grown to provide a friendly encouraging place for new storytellers, workshops for the new and the more experienced teller, ballad classes, family events, mentoring and a supportive network of like-minded fowk!
- GAS promotes and supports the craft of oral storytelling in the North-east of Scotland.
- GAS organises and runs workshops, courses and events to develop and enhance the skills of local storytellers.
- GAS runs a mentoring scheme through which experienced storytellers can support and develop the skills of emerging storytellers.
- GAS encourages and promotes the storytelling traditions of the North-east of Scotland.
- GAS promotes enjoyment of storytelling.
- GAS runs a register of professional storytellers available to hire for your event.
Stanley Robertson, GAS Honorary President
It is with great sadness that GAS members heard of the passing of Stanley Robertson on the 2nd of August 2009. Stanley was our honorary president and great friend. Over the years, Stanley taught us a lot more than just his stories and ballads and it was a great priviledge to call him one of our own. He will be sorely missed.
Stanley Robertson was a master storyteller, ballad singer and piper who learned his skills from his traveller parents and grandparents as well as from other family tradition bearers. GAS will endeavour to keep his stories and songs alive.
Only months before his death, Stanley was invested by Aberdeen University with the honorary degree Master of The University" in regognition of his achievements. Read more about it on the Elphinstone Institute's Spring 2009 newsletter.
R.I.P Stanley Robertson, 1940 - 2009
CURRENT GAS COMMITTEE
CHAIR: Maggie Fraser
SECRETARY/TREASURER: Soozy Lai
TEL: 07943 333100
ORDINARY COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Zoe Cunningham, Sean Gordon
If you would like to join our committee, please let us know! New members are always welcome.
If you have any feedback on the site, or would like to see anything new on the site, please send me an email!
WEB SITE ADMINISTRATOR: Pauline Cordiner
For more GAS information, contact GAS secretary on firstname.lastname@example.org